Friday 14 June 2013

Start: June 12th, 4pm, east of Port Hardy; and the Spot

The SPOT that Jerome is using stopped transmitting after an hour on Wednesday June 12. I have not received any other updates from Jerome so am not sure why the SPOT is not transmitting any more. I called SPOT up and everyting is fine on their side. I did text Jerome - hopefully he figures it out soon.
Thanks
Sam
Jerome: An hour after I started, I paddled round the corner at Port Hardy, into an unexpected, fresh NW headwind. The day before, when I committed to the start, it was supposed to be an Easterly! Bummer, as this is the only time one has a choice of weather. Anyway, with a strong ebb tide in my favour (at least I got that right), it was a wet ride straight off the bat, with little white caps breaking over the deck. This must have wet the Spot, but since it continued to give a green light for transmission and tracks, I didn't know it wasn't working until the day I set off for Brooks, when it had a red light and I stopped in the kelp on an unusually calm sunny spell and dried it out. Water must have got into the casing as there was a little brown slime in there. It worked well after that, as I had it inside my dry map case. The problem later on, the day I had a tailwind gusting to 40 knots was because of the low (alkaline) batteries I put in, not water inside.

3 comments:

  1. I see the spot has picked Jerome up again after rounding cape scott. Is Jerome being supported?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nevermind, i just found the preamble. Anyone have any pics of Jerome's setup?
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there,

    I'm a reporter for The Province. I'd like to write a story about Jerome's attempt to break the record for circumnavigating Vancouver Island. This would be for tomorrow's paper (Sunday).

    I understand that it may be difficult for me to talk to Jerome right now if he's out at sea, but is anyone able to call me and tell me about his adventure? I can be reached on my office line at 604-605-2074.

    Thanks,

    Thandi Fletcher
    tfletcher@theprovince.com

    ReplyDelete