Thursday 6 June 2013

Preamble and Thanks



Paddling 1,150 kms in the ocean in a mad rush to nowhere in just under 15 1/2 days - about 75 kms/day average - is a pretty honest endevour in any self-propelled boat. After breaking up with my long term partner and being let go from my job, I'm trying to make lemonade, as they say, and I realized I now have the opportunity to do a trip I've been wanting to do for quite some time. Also, in spite of my new 'Amazon Man' moniker in the current (June 2013) Canoe & Kayak magazine, at 57 I'm not getting any younger and kinda curious to see if this old horse still has the power

The current records are as follows:
2011: Colin Angus sets new record in a rowboat in 15 days, 11 hours and 47 minutes (unofficial time).
2010: Joe O'Blenis set the new record at 16 days, 12 hours and 14 minutes. Remains current record holder for a kayak circumnavigation
Sean Morley set the bar pretty high back in 2008 with 17 days 4 hours and 49 minutes
My preferred style is a logistically simple, pure one in which one packs one's boat with food and supplies and paddles around, back to the same spot without any outside assistance. I like this approach because it's easy and inexpensive for the next person and I like the self-contained and self-reliant nature of it. Its called unassisted - details of which are in the Coast & Kayak 'Vancouver Island paddling speed record' page http://www.coastandkayak.com/islandrace.html and this is the record I hope to set (both the current records were assisted in that food and in Joe's case, even a new boat was delivered en-route)
Around the 9-12 June 2013, I will be starting my attempt to break Joe and Colin's records around the island. There is a nice high pressure setting up and I plan on waiting at Port Hardy/Port McNeill (haven't decided which yet) for the last 8 or so days of it. I'll use the Spring tides to waft down to Cape Scott, then enjoy 6 or so days of breezy downwind conditions on the outer coast, before the high deteriorates into easterlies, just as I'm rounding Victoria. Then its a matter of grinding it out, maximizing the longest day and brightest full moon of 2013 to cruise on back up to the start with a bit of a riffle at Seymour Narrows to break the flat water monotony. Seems like a plan ... yeah right!

Thanks to:

Epic Kayaks and Deep Canoe and Kayak
Oscar of Epic kayaks and Bob Putnam of Deep Cove Canoe and Kayak for a very nice, yellow Epic 18 ocean kayak (18' long, 22" wide), with understern flip-up rudder; central footboard and pedals; nice K1-style paddling position with knees in the middle, and low-key,yet very effective thigh braces and low cockpit back for easy rolling - all standard features. Peter Buchmuller and I mounted a South African Knysna Kayak 'Hubby' footpump, designed by my buddy Hubby Sandberg. Peter also patched the ding in the nose where I dropped the boat off the roofrack ... and she's good to go. The boat, the Epic 18 sea kayak was a dream. Nice and small and light, it was excellent on those big runs, gusting at 40 knots with 2m seas. I'd see a white cap building, as the face of the approaching wave caught up with me, then the occasional big one would stand up and break over my head. I'd tuck my thighs under the cockpit, brace my Wing paddle into it, put my head down and disappear into the foamy. More often than not I'd feel the hull release, slide down the face and the next thing I'd be shooting out of the foam pile like Superman, with the white water streaking off me, as the boat just took off down the face, the understern and featherlight rudder controls giving me full control. GPS reading over 22kph on some of the bigger ones. Awesome.

Sam van der Merwe for providing his Spot and setting up the website and real-time map

Ben Fast for loaning me his GPS, VHF radio and cell phone charger

Darrelle Butler for lending me her Steripen water sterilizer

Gary Robinson, Rob Hansen, Dazy and Crystal for opening their hearts and houses to me. Thanks for the specialty water bottles and deck bag, Gary

Tracey Menzies for the meals and for washing up when I said I'd do it

River Sportsman Ltd of Campbell River
Nicky Rookes of River Sportsman Ltd in Campbell River for a great, last minute sponsorship of a nice little Asolo Marco +5 synthetic mummy bag and thanks to Rob Hansen for the contact and phone call

Majestic kayaking in Ucluelet
Ted/Tracy and Suzie for the impromptu support when I just showed up unexpectedly on their beach

Me? I have international marathon, downriver, slalom, sprint, surf and SurfLifesaving experience, as well as various expeditions, ocean and backcountry trips under my belt, so no excuses there. And my secret weapon - a long, thin titanium spoon, to finally reach the bottom of those freeze dried dessert food baggies without having to lick the dessert off the the back of ones fingers, possibly attracting bears

Later
Jerome

No comments:

Post a Comment