Wednesday 19 June 2013

June 17 Nootka Island, June 18 'Bird' Island

Hi Everyone,
As Jerome has gotten closer to civilization (he is close to Tofino) just off Vargas island I did get a couple of text messages from him him. One was for June 17 and the other for June 18. I have posted these:

June 18 - from Hesquiat Peninsula Provincial Park - Rain on the tent, want to eat, but food stashed in the waterproof hatches of the boat overnight - wet paddling clothes outside 'drying' in the rain - Where's the North Westerly that was forecast?
Thanks Sam. Jerome's comments after: Yea, there was supposed to be a NW forecast, but the sound of rain on the tent in the am didn't sound promising - aren't NW supposed to herald good weather? Thats what I thought in my previous life, anyway. I was camped on what I call a little 'Bird Island', half a mile off-shore and about 5 kms N of Estvan Pt lighthouse. Incredible bird life. I really felt like and intruder, but had probably saved a bunch of Oyster Catcher hatchlings from about 20 Bald Eagles, that took off upon my landing. Huge numbers of Brine shrimp jumping all over the place in the wet kelp along the shore

June 17 from Nootka Island.  This campsite had a really wild feeling to it and was just a steep gravel beach with a platform of shells and things where the rainforest met the shore. \I had just sent a text, that never arrived, saying how amazing this place was, this place of bear, wolf, eagle, raven and cougar, when, speaking of which - I suddenly saw a large wolf walking past at dinner time between me and the water, just 30m away, shy'ly trying to get past. Didn't hear a thing, with the waves breaking on the gravel beach. Then a heavy rain shower got me into the tent with my dinner - with smelly, open salami and cheese packets, not the thing to be doing in bear/wolf/cougar country, but there I was, had to eat. I tried not to spill any hot chocolate or gatorade, topping up my bottles for the morning and was as quick as I could, then got all the food out of the tent into the waterproof hatches of the boat. Somewhat relieved. Rain light now, very soothing on the tent. All quiet animal-wise.


Take care
Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment